National Assembly for Wales

Back to Search
WAQ78559 (e) Tabled on 10/07/2019

Will the Minister confirm whether health boards can enable care homes to hold community intravenous therapy clinics?

Answered by Minister for Health and Social Services Answered on 22/07/2019

If a person requiring regular intravenous medication lives in a care home with nursing, so long as a prescription is written and it can be fulfilled by the local pharmacy then competent nursing staff within the care home can give this medication.


If a health board wishes to organise a walk in clinic in a non NHS setting it can.  The health board would however need to assure itself that this would constitute value for public money.

Explore the Welsh Parliament